Feeling that one or more people are constantly looking at us can be extremely uncomfortable for most and even threatening. If you feel that this happens to you very often and you constantly ask yourself “Why do I feel like everyone is looking at me?” Surely, it is because that feeling of being observed by people causes you more discomfort than pleasure. There are many reasons why we can feel that the whole world is looking at us, and the vast majority are of psychological and subjective origin, that is, it has more to do with ourselves and what we perceive than with others and with what happens in reality.
In this article, we are going to help you find the possible causes of why this may be happening, as well as provide you with a series of tips so that you can deal with this situation in case it is causing you a lot of discomforts.
“Everyone is looking at me”: 3 questions to take into account
If you feel that people are looking at you on the street and this situation is causing you a lot of discomfort in your life, first of all you should ask yourself these 3 questions:
- Is everyone really looking at you? People tend to generalize situations a lot, and the fact is that generalization can even be harmful if we tend to do it constantly. Something that will be very helpful for you to do is ask yourself if everyone is really looking at you. And it is that it is practically impossible for EVERYONE to be aware of someone else. All or almost all of us are more aware of ourselves than of others.
- In what specific situations do you feel that they are watching you? We must learn to identify the specific situations in which we feel observed. For example, you may feel that everyone is looking at you at work while you are doing a certain activity, at school, on the street, etc.
- How do you feel when you are being watched? Surely, feeling constantly observed makes you feel quite uncomfortable, however, there are people who find the opposite, since they love to always be the center of attention.
ALSO READ: How to help someone who is lonely
Why I feel like everyone is looking at me: 4 reasons
As we have already seen at the beginning of this article, there are various reasons why people can feel observed by people. Among the main ones are the following:
- Extreme shyness or social phobia: People with extreme shyness or social phobia often think that other people are watching them all the time and waiting for the moment they make a mistake so they can ridicule them. Nothing could be further from reality, however, when suffering from this type of disorder, the person really believes that they are being watched.
- Focusing too much on oneself: there are people who focus too much on themselves and think that everyone is watching them no matter what they do when in reality it is not.
- Being a very attractive person: people who are very attractive attract attention in many places they go, so more than a couple of people will turn to see them, however, this does not mean that they absolutely all people turn to see it and it will only be for certain periods of time.
- Paranoid disorder or traits: Another possible reason why a person may think that everyone is looking at them is that they suffer from a paranoid personality disorder or that they do not have the disorder as such, but do have some traits such as feeling observed by people all the time.
Solutions in case you think that everyone is looking at you
For the vast majority of people, feeling observed all the time is more of a problem than a pleasure. Therefore, we will focus on providing you with a series of tips that could be useful if you feel observed and this situation is causing you great discomfort. Some of these tips are as follows:
ALSO READ: How to connect with an introvert
- Identify at what times of the day and in what situations you feel that everyone is looking at you. Once you have identified them, you need to analyze why you think you are being watched, remembering that it is practically impossible for EVERYONE to look at you.
- You need to stop focusing solely on yourself. People who focus too much on themselves cause others to withdraw from them or not generate as much empathy with people, which does not allow them to establish deeper and lasting relationships.
- Every time you feel observed by others, remember that just like you they are also caring about what they do and that their priority is themselves.
- See a professional if this problem is so intense that it does not allow you to function adequately in each of the areas of your life or if you have identified that it is a social phobia or paranoid disorder. The professional will help you clarify the deeper reasons why you have this feeling of being watched all the time, he will help you so that this situation stops being so annoying for you and you can carry out your normal life without that guy. of worries. He will also help you eliminate your mental illness in case you present it.
This article is merely informative, at Mxcontent, we do not have the power to make a diagnosis or recommend a treatment. We invite you to go to a psychologist to treat your particular case.